NIGERIAN STUDENTS ASKED TO STAY INDOORS

Greater Noida

Banners asking district authorities to free Greater Noida of Nigerians have come up at important places across the city, even as the Nigerian students are forced to stay indoors following Monday's incident.

The district administration has deployed PAC (Armed Police) at localities inhabited by the Nigerian students after the incident.

Several Nigerian students, who study in colleges, universities spread across Greater Noida skipped their classes today.

India Today caught up with two of them. Aliyu, a final year MSc Chemistry student at Noida International University, said that a friend who called him and warned from venturing out was beaten up by a mob.

"We have been asked to stay indoors. We can't even go to the balcony...we are scared to step out. Police have told us not to go out for next couple of days," Aliyu told India Today.

"I have been facing 'immoral' behaviour ever since I came here. People pointing fingers, laughing at us...what happened yesterday is unfortunate...why generalise everyone.We have lot of Indians back in Nigeria...if they see we are being attacked..there may be reactions,"he added.

Abdul, a BSc student told India Today," I am too scared to go out of my house. I came here in September last year. I think I should return back to my country. I am planning my tickets. I don't want to stay here anymore."

The district administration has refused to describe the incident as hate crime. "It happened in the spur of the moment, it was not pre-planned," Nagendra Prasad Singh, District Magistrate of Greater Noida said.

He said that the administration is holding a meeting of local RWAs, colleges and Nigerian students' representatives to maintain peace in the area.


Source: India today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World's brightest Synchrotron to be built by China

Massive Cobra Cake Made By Mom

Gambia's Jammeh Finally Surrenders